AOA 3D Printing and Customized Patient Specific Surgical Expertise
Dr. Perler has been using 3D printing applications in his practice since it was first introduced and is one of the original members of the American Orthopaedic 3D printing society. He is the sixth surgeon in the country to be designated as a 3D Printing Center of Excellence. He currently has a patent pending status on a new technique based on 3D printing and PSI and is active in product development involving new PSI techniques.
- (2014) First 3D printed fibular reconstruction in the US using 4Web Medical (Sample Case 1)
- (2014) Started using PSI with Wright Medical Prophecy InBone and Infinity (Sample Case 2)
- (2016) PSI Total Ankle Replacement – On development team for a new ankle replacement (Zimmer/Biomet) device will utilize PSI/3D printing
- (2018) First 3D printed titanium implant/prosthesis (partial ankle replacement) utilizing Additive Orthopaedics in the state of Florida
- (2019) First 3D printed partial ankle replacement and instrumentation in the US to be designed and performed from a frontal approach (Additive Orthopaedics) (Sample Case 3)
- (2019) First 3D subtalar joint fusion block in the country (Additive Orthopaedics). (Sample Case 4)
- (October 2019) Using CAD/CAM computer modeling, was the first surgeon in the world to implant an Exactech Vantage Total Ankle Replacement using at FlatTop talar component (Sample Case 5)
- (November 2019) Performed first advanced bunion reconstruction (Lapidus) using a 3D printed patient specific cut guide (RedPoint Medical).
- (December 2019) Performed the first 3D printed total talus in conjunction with a total ankle replacement including a fusion interface of the subtalar joint in Florida and one of the few in the country. (Sample Case 6)
- (January 2020) Performed 2nd 3D printed total case in Florida that was performed in conjunction with an ankle replacement and resurfacing of the subtalar joint on a patient from Canada (Sample Case 7)
- Clinical Consultant for 3D printed biopolymer models made of based on individualized patient pathology – FiberTuff
- (2019) Co-Founder and Chief Medical Officer of Red Point Medical, a start-up company that focuses on the utilization of 3D printing to create Patient Specific Instrumentation and customized cutting guides for complex deformity correction. Dr. Perler is leading a team of talented foot and ankle surgeons from across the country and working with a specialized software company to advance this technology and help surgeons improve their outcomes through more precise and reproducible techniques.
- (2019 – Present) Member and designated a 3d Printing Center of Excellence of the American Orthopaedic Society of 3D Printing.